Gold Family Care Hospital options

Gold Family Care Hospital options

Gold Family Care Hospital options (code: K1, K2 and K3)

Gold Family Care Hospital is your family’s hospital health cover solution when your children are no longer full time students. Providing they are not married or living in a defacto relationship – they may even be living away from home, or earning their own income – your children are covered up to their 25th birthday.


Under our Gold Family Care Hospital K1 and K2 products, a co-payment is payable for all private hospital admissions. The co-payment does not apply in a public hospital.


K3 Gold Family Care Hospital (no excess or co-payment).
K2 Gold Family Care Hospital $40 per day co-payment (maximum $280 per stay).
K1 Gold Family Care Hospital $70 per day co-payment (maximum $490 per stay).
An ideal package with Advantage Family Care Extras cover!

How does the co-payment work?

The co-payment only applies to the first seven days of every admission, no matter how long you stay in hospital.
The co-payment is payable for each person covered by your membership.

Special benefits

  • Choice of two co-payments to suit your budget.
  • Regardless of whether you choose Gold Family Care Hospital K2 or K1, the co-payment is only $30 for a day procedure.
  • The co-payment does not apply to public hospital admissions.
  • A cost effective option for families with non-student dependants from 18 up to their 25th birthday.


Under Gold Family Care Hospital cover, you will have the option of Gold Top Hospital cover as detailed below, or, if you prefer, you can reduce the cost of your premium by choosing a capped daily co-payment option.



What is covered in hospital?

Private or shared room In a private hospital you have the choice of a private or shared room. However, private rooms are subject to availability on admission.
Accommodation charges Covers your room, theatre, intensive care, labour and recovery ward fees, medicines and drugs clinically required as part of your in-patient treatment.
365 days accommodation cover For admissions longer than 35 consecutive days, your cover continues when your doctor provides an ongoing Acute Care Certificate.
Day procedures Day procedures now account for more than half of all hospital treatment, such as knee arthroscopies, chemotherapy and cataract surgery.
Surgically implanted prostheses All prostheses are covered in accordance with the Commonwealth Prostheses Listing.
Major surgery Coronary/heart procedures, joint replacement, cataract surgery are just some of the major procedures covered.
Delivery and pregnancy related services In-patient services directly related to childbirth such as antenatal services, complications of pregnancy, delivery and post natal care.
Assisted reproductive services Benefits for services provided in hospital to assist conception such as IVF and GIFT.
Psychiatric care In-hospital treatment and programs for mental health disorders.
Rehabilitation Treatment to restore self-sufficiency following an illness or injury usually in specialist centres and hospitals.
Supported discharge The supported discharge program is designed to provide an alternative to inpatient bed days. This program provides a wide range of services that assist members to be discharged from hospital to a safe and supported environment.
Private midwife at a hospital birth Services of a qualified private midwife instead of an obstetrician. Up to $450 per hospital birth.
Your personal comforts In participating private hospitals, your cover includes the cost of local phone calls and TV hire. There are times due to treatment guidelines when access to individual TV hire is limited to a common room; personal in-room TV hire will not be covered in this circumstance. Please note WiFi internet connections and Pay TV are NOT covered and any issues relating to charges for these items should be discussed with the hospital.
In-hospital medical gap cover Medicare pays 75% of the Medicare Benefit Schedule Fee for in-hospital medical charges and Latrobe pays the remaining 25%.
Just Ask!® medical gap cover Additional medical benefits to reduce or eliminate the gap for in-hospital medical charges higher than the Medicare Benefit Schedule Fee.

What is not fully covered in hospital?

Treatment not covered by Medicare ie. procedures that do not have a benefit payable under the Medicare Benefit Schedule (refer to default benefits and other limited benefits for further clarification). Accommodation charges may not be fully covered in a non-participating private hospital.


Combine Gold Family Care Hospital cover with Advantage Family Care Extras cover for a total health care package and peace of mind. Advantage Family Care Extras cover includes general and major dental treatment, orthodontics, optical, physio, chiropractor as well as a large range of natural therapies. Waiting periods and benefit limits may apply.